The Black and Tan Coonhound dog is an easy-going, trusty breed, and its lovable character makes them excellent family pets. The dog is good with children of all ages. The alternative name for the breed is the American Black and Tan Coonhound. It is loyal, intelligent, and the largest of the six coonhound breeds.
History and Origin of the Black and Tan Coonhound
The Coonhound is believed to have descended from the Talbot Hound, an ancient breed found in Great Britain during the eleventh century, and crosses of Bloodhound, foxhound, and Virginia foxhound. It was bred for its coloring and its opossum and raccoon hunting abilities. The origin of the breed is the United States.
Physical Description of the Coonhound Dog
The dog is a large, well-muscled dog that is slightly longer than tall. It has a large black nose and hazel or brown eyes. The long ears are low-set and hang in folds. The long tail is sickle-shaped. The black coat is short and dense, with tan markings above the eyes, on the muzzle, legs, and chest, and black pencil marks on the toes.
Size, Height, Weight, and LifeSpan of a Dog
The average height of the dog is about 23 to 27 inches, and the weight is about 40 to 75 pounds. The average life expectancy is about 10 to 12 years.
Temperament or Personality of the Coonhound Dog
The Coonhound is an easy-going, friendly dog. The dog gets easy along with almost everyone, including children and other dogs. It tends to be vocal and is prone to stealing food. Many describe it as clownish, and it is not easily trained.
Best Ownership of the Black and Tan Coonhound
This breed does very well with a family in rural or suburban homes. The dog breed gets along with children and other animals.
Special Needs of Dog Breeds
You must ensure the following aspects for the easy function of the dog breed:
- Ear clearing regularly.
- Fenced yard for better training and playing.
- Leash the dog for the protection of unknown personnel.
- Proper diet and nutrition for a healthy life.
- Skincare to reduce allergies.
- Dental care keeps the dog healthy.
- Grooming is done daily to keep the dog fit and clean.
- Proper training, especially for basic obedience training.
- Exercise regularly.
Health Concerns of the Black and Tan Coonhound
The dog is generally affected only by widespread canine diseases. The following diseases are frequently seen in the dog breed:
- Eye problems.
- Hip dysplasia.
- Elbow dysplasia.
Interesting Facts About the Black and Tan Coonhound
- The Coonhound has a black coat with tan points above the eyes, on the sides of the muzzle, chest, breeches, legs, and black pencil markings on the toes.
- The dog was the first coonhound breed admitted to AKC registration.
- The dog is known as a ‘ trail and tree hound,’ which means the dog can find not only his quarry but also a tree.
Final Talk on the Black and Tan Coonhound
The Coonhound is a friendly, passionate breed that enjoys frequent exercise and activities. The handsome dog is a perfect friend for children. In my article, I have to describe all the information about dog breeds that is very important to be aware of. If you are interested to know in other dog breeds, don’t hesitate to visit my website. Thank you for your time.