Any injury caused by bitten by a dog to a person or other animals and where there is a risk of infection is known as dod bite. In most of the cases, there may not create injury or infection but there is a potential risk of rabies or other diseases. A dog bite wound inflicted a dog. The main medical issues to be addressed with dog bites are the skin damage, any injury to underlying tissues such as muscle, nerve and bone and the significant potential for infection of the wound.
Another type of dog bite is the soft bite, displayed by well-trained dogs, by puppies, and in non-aggressive play situations in which dog bites occurs includes dog fighting, mistreatment, trained dog acting as guard or military animals protected or unprotected.
When a Dog Bite Occurs
If you approach to a dog that you do not know very well and at the same time the dog thinks that you are his enemy that time a dog bite may happen. Be cautious while going to an unknown dog and looks friendly to dogs all time. Even dog owners can be bitten by the dog in some cases when the dogs remain in bad-tempered. Dog bite may also occur during training, while the dog in a deployment to guard a place or installation, or agitated by an unknown person during training or playing.
Dangerous Dog Breeds
Many states and cities have passed laws restricting ownership of “ Dangerous Dog Breeds” which includes pitbulls, rottweilers, and wolf-hybrids.
These breeds are deemed dangerous because they are often trained to be guard dogs or to fight. Additionally, the size and dogs can inflict more serious injuries than other breeds. Three characteristics of these dogs particularly make them dangerous:
- Surprise Attack—- These breeds attacks without warning.
- Hold and Shake— Pitbulls can maintain a bite despite being sedated.
- Gameness —These breeds continue to attack even injury.
Common Areas of Dog Bite
The most common areas of a dog bite in a human body are:
Dog Bite Prevention
There are many ways to prevent dog bite to man and animals. There are some techniques to prevent the dog bite are:
- Give proper basic obedience training to your dog.
- Understand the mental and physical condition of your dog as a dog owner.
- Make a good relationship with your dog.
- Give socialization training to your dog.
- Take adequate care and looks welfare of your dogs.
- Groom your dog daily and properly.
Recommended Read: Top 20 Things To Consider While Choosing The Best Working Dog
- Children should not go to a dog who is not properly socialized.
- Other ways to prevent a dog bites include see medical care for dog bite injury is common events, an adult half of dog bite victims are children, children between the ages of 5 and 9 are most likely to be bitten by dogs and boys are more likely to be bitten than girls.
- Awareness board may be hanged in front of the gate to aware people like home service and courier person.
- Experts agree that many of the dog bites that occur each year in the USA could be prevented by enhanced public education hazards.
- Selection of Dog Breeds whose are appropriate for your family.
- Prospective dog owners should always spend time with a dog before making a commitment and be sensitive to children reactions to the dogs and any potential fears.
- Sometimes children without thinking properly can play aggressively with the dog, that may lead the dog’s anger and dog attack may happen.
Recommended Read: Top 13 Small Sized Dog Breeds For Families and Kids
Families with infants or small children should never leave any dog alone with the child at any time. Family dogs are very playful with kids and child but you can’t trust fully on your dog or kid. So, to keep your family safe never left a dog and child unattended.
Expert Tips To Prevent Dog Bite in Home and Ground
Now we will have a quick look at how to prevent a Dog Bite when they remain in Home and Outside.
You must choose a dog breed that is compatible with the family. Before selecting an aggressive dog think about your family and requirements. Small dog breeds are appropriate for home and apartment to keep the pet which is less aggressive and more friendly to children. Whereas medium and large dog breeds may be kept at home basing on the characteristics and temperament.
You must give socialization training to your dog after owning though dogs are very social. This will reduce the risk of bite to other person and animals. The more social dog the lesser the risk of a dog bite. To make socialization you make take your dog every day in the morning or evening walk, in the park or public places as you teach your child.
Before approaching an unknown dog think yourself about security and safety. At least in the presence of the owner, you can go near to others pet. If you come into contact with any unfamiliar dog try to know the temperament and condition of the dog. You must try to avoid direct contact with the dog at every time.
4. Acknowledge By Dog
While coming to an unknown dog, give some time to acknowledge you by the dog. Never go for fast moving in front of unfamiliar dogs. At first, try to build up a relationship with a new pet and give him some food. Before approaching an unknown dog you must give some time to the dog to familiar with you so that the dog can accept you as his friend.
5. Know About Dog
You must visit an unknown dog after asking its owner at first.The owner can give you the accurate suggestions and guideline to approach his dog. If you want to pet his dog, request the owner to control or make familiar with you.
6. Never Run
If any dog recognizes you as this enemy, try to develop an eye contact and never run from the dog. You must try to give an impression to the dog that you are not his enemy. You can say some friendly words ar can offer some tidbits to the dog.
7. Time of Approach
You must know there are sometimes when dogs do not allow visitors like during eating, sleeping or during caring her puppies. As a dog lover, you must know at which time a dog never allow any unknown person, animals or birds. Try to avoid these time to get close with a dog to prevent the risk of the dog bite.
Recommended Read: Everything You Need To Know About Dog Grooming: The Ultimate Guide
Children may be taken to the aggressive or unknown dog with a person or caretaker. Children and dog are of the same nature in case of playing and understanding. Unattended dog and child can lead to any type of accident such as the bite or fighting that may hamper your daily life and love for pets.
9. Action on Knocked By Dog
If a dog becomes aggressive to see you, you can roll a ball to play with him or may lie still like a log. You can offer some foods, play materials or friendly wards to the dog that will make the dog make calm.
10. Action After Dog Bite
After an accidental dog bite, at first report to an expert or its owner. You must attend your doctor and take the advice and treatment basing on the severity of a dog bite. It may include first aid, dressing, or even antibiotics treatment and post-exposure vaccination.
11. First Approach By Dog
Go to patting a dog after making a minimum relationship with you. Let the dog sniff you first. You must see the condition of the unknown dog before approach, know the temperament and barking or other signs of anger.
12. Aggressive Games
Playing aggressive games (such as wrestling) with your dogs should also be avoided. These types of games make your dog aggressive that may apply to the unknown person of animals or birds.
What To Do When Dog Bite a Person/ a Dog
Although you can provide first aid for a dog bite at home, its very important to see a doctor, especially if an unfamiliar dog bite you, the bite is deep, you cannot stop the bleeding, or there are any signs of infection (redness, swelling, warmth, pus), clean the bite area with mild antiseptics like soap, apply a sterile bandage to the wound and then apply antibiotic ointment to the injury every day to prevent infection.
If it is superficial scrap or gash, clean the wound with running water, and then hydrogen peroxide or isopropyl alcohol. You may also apply the topical antibiotic and cover with a bandage.
Dog Bite Treatment
Dog bite treatment may vary from the severity of wound or scratch caused by the dog bite. After a dog attack, you must immediately contact your doctor and know the vaccination history of that dog. The sequence of dog bite treatment you may follow the points I have chosen.
- Press on the wound gently to cause some bleeding to help flash out as much bacteria as possible.
- Clean the wound woith mild antiseptics and water.
- Slow the bleeding with a clean cloth.
- Apply over the counter antibiotic cream if you have it.
- Wrap the wound in a sterile bandage, keep the wound bandage and see your doctor.
- Change the bandage several times a day. Once your doctor has examined the wound.
- Watch for signs of infection, including redness, swelling, increased pain, and fever.
- Know the vaccination history the dog from the owner and take the cover of infection history. If the dog is not vaccinated against Rabies, you must give Post-exposure Anti-Rabies vaccine from a reputed source.
- If the wound infection leads to sepsis or developed secondary bacterial infection take cove broad-spectrum antibiotics.
- Regular report to your doctor up to recovery of wound or infections.
The dog bite is very often news in media and serious problems to dog owners. The bitting incidents may hamper the love for the dog and other pets. The adequate measures can prevent the probable incidence of the dog bite. The selected breed, socialization, adequate training, dog approaches, cautious about children, dog’s environment and acknowledgment may prevent dog bite in a remarkable manner.
Recommended Read: Top 10 Most Popular Show Dogs Breeds For Competitive Events
After a dog bite, you must immediately report to your doctor. Your doctor will decide about your treatment basing on the severity of injury and mode of bleeding. You can take an emergency measure of first aid, soap water wash and can apply mild antiseptic. If profuse bleeding occurs you can apply some bandage or ligations to stop the blood.
I think this much information will help to take adequate care to prevent dog bite and you can attain a quick decision regarding dog bite treatment. If these pieces of information help you, please subscribe our website and share these article through social media.